This is the oldest surviving church in Ottawa. It was built between 1841 and 1865. The interior works were conducted from 1876 to 1885. It was the first church in the area that served both English and French-speaking population. In the beginning Notre-Dame was just a pour church, but in 1847 the church got the cathedral status, and in 1879 it became a basilica.